Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good High School Starter

Default When the check engine light is blinking

I drive a volvo s80 (2001) out of no where my check engine light starts blinking back and forth....then sometimes it would stop for a while, and then come back again. I changed my oil today, but its still doing the blinking. Is it too dangerous to drive the car anymore?

The champ is here. The Big Skinny's Avatar

Default Re: When the check engine light is blinking

Go to any advanced auto parts. They have a machine that hooks up to your car and tells you the codes of why your check engine light is on. Then they'll look up the codes and tell you what is wrong. Usually its free but i've heard they may charge now. Its usually something cheap if they do charge.

EDIT: My car has had the check engine light for about 5-6 years.

My old car had it on for 4 years and I never gave it any attention.

That's why it's my old car.

If it's blinking usually that is worse than just staying on solid. I know if my light comes on solid thy suggestion taking it in and getting it looked out within a week, if it's blinking they suggest drive it in ASAP to get it looked at at. That's with an Audi though.

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    My old car had it on for 4 years and I never gave it any attention.

That's why it's my old car.
    You wouldn't be able to pass smog here in the states ha.

But yea I had mine on for a year or 2 and it was fine. I just needed a new catalytic converter

Good High School Starter

im at work and live an hour away, and I cant call triple A at the moment because i forgot to re-up on my insurance, and have no cash on me..(debit either). Should I gamble and come home early? What might be the problem generally if the light is blinking? I just hope my car dont blow up in the middle of traffic.

Future D1 Dad

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Skinny
    Go to any advanced auto parts. They have a machine that hooks up to your car and tells you the codes of why your check engine light is on. Then they'll look up the codes and tell you what is wrong. Usually its free but i've heard they may charge now. Its usually something cheap if they do charge.

EDIT: My car has had the check engine light for about 5-6 years.
    this. my car does it now and then but it's due to a dirty air sensor.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Depends on the brand of your car, but GMs for instance are notorious for their check engine lights ALWAYS being on. You can have it checked out, but odds are good it is a non-essential part or sensor that needs replacing. Generally it doesn't mean that there is a serious problem with your engine. What it means certainly could differ by brand though. I would read your owner's manual and find out what causes what lights to come on, and if you're really concerned, just get it checked out. It won't cost much just to have someone scan for the specific code in your vehicle's computer.

I added coolant and the light came on (AutoZone told me it was related to the coolant). It went off after a couple of days. Sometimes its something dumb like that.

no one here can tell you whats wrong with your car just due to engine light blinking.

you need to take it to a autoparts store that does free diagnostics scan as long as you have ob2 or your car is newer than 96. even then its just a code they give you and you have to look up the code to see hte problem, and even some codes dont definitely tell you the problem.

cant believe all these jerks trying to give you ansers off a stupid "check engine light comes on and off" it could be anything.

its gotta be a sensor if it comes on (blinks) and sometimes it doesn't.

I had a honda which the check engine came on in the middle of driving, then when i shut the car off it went away when I turned it back on and then the same thing would happen.

it was the O2 sensor. quick fix. never came on again.

NBA Superstar

don't sweat it so much unless you notice something wrong with your car. they come on all of the time for stupid crap like 02 sensors. each time you start up your car the on board diagnostics basically does a check of various things and when something comes up bad your check engine light will come on. most of the time its nothing big like you're worrying about.

try advanced auto parts, autozone, or chain stores like that. they usually will run it for free. if not check local mechanic shops and hope they charge you something under $30~ to check it...dealer will rape you.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    cant believe all these jerks trying to give you ansers off a stupid "check engine light comes on and off" it could be anything.
    Most people in this thread are giving him common problems that cause it and suggest that he get it checked out. There's only one jerk in this thread so far.

Do you leave the radio on while putting in gas?

I had a car die on me when I drove it when the check engine light came on.
    Told myself I was going to take it to be serviced the next day. Didn't drive it far either.

My oil filter had gotten dented on the bottom of my car. (must have hit a bump) and my oil leaked out of the engine. After driving just about 8 blocks the engine seized up on me. So yes, it can be very serious.