Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default I had Illmatic on tape. Twice. And Midnight Marauders.

I can recite "Come Clean" off te top of my head and probably "Braggin Writes" too. Ive heard Canibus Poet Laureate more times than ive heard people over the Amili beat.

Point? Generally speaking I **** with lyrical rappers and people who have something to say...or a jazzy old school style. And I hate virtually everything on the radio after 1996.

I am one of those rap snobs who cant even be in the room with some Gucci on. I am exactly the kind of person who mainstream rap fans hate for hating on popular music. Im an old bitter fan who wants things the way they were.

And yet......

Im not sure Rick Ross the last 3 years or so doesnt make some of the best music in rap history.

Listen to how he comes in on Maybach Music 3 or Devil in a New dress...its like a ****ing movement.

Friend of mine told me his father asked him to burn a CD of what he was playing when they rode in the car with Teflon Don on. This is a 60 year old man now. I read that Kanye said ross is the only rapper that gets played in his home. Something like hes playing Pink floyd, al Green, some old rock band...and Ross.

I believe Ross is probably respected by people who make music.

The best of his last 3-4 years in one album would be on some all time great shit in one album.

Mafia Music
    Rich off cocaine
    Tears of Joy
    Even deeper
    Yacht club
    Usual Suspects
    Freemasons
    Mafia Music 2(the video is just hilarious by the way)

With an intro and an interlude somewhere in there Wayne style that he isnt even on...perhaps Pusha Ts Can I live......throw on Aston Martin Music and superhigh somewhere in there(dont act like they were bad songs).

We would be talking an album that would be all time great. And im not sure why it seems so few notice....

People talk about him being fake as if...being fake isnt pretty much the job of a rapper these days.

Besides he explained it fine to me:

"Only live once and I got 2 kids. I'll shovel shit. I'll CO...so we can bow our heads and pray over the meatloaf".

The man makes outstanding music a good bit of the time...and his average song is pretty good.

I mean...Rakims last album wasnt as good as either of Ross last two. He is flat out one of the best...song makers..in rap music history.

Best rappers? No. But the man somehow...whatever he does....puts out a finished product that at its best is pretty much crime rap mixed with classic soul music. no doubt because he gets soul music samples then raps over it much of the time...but it works.

Ross might be the most underrated song maker by people like...me I guess.

And yes I know there is a ross topic somewhere on him not quite dying. Dont care.

Default Re: I had Illmatic on tape. Twice. And Midnight Marauders.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggiesBush
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4lB3mvuoTk

one of the best songs this year

sounds like a video game beat.

Nas makes me sick with the flip-flopping....you wan kick knowledge or you wan be a gangsta son? Pick a side already.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    sounds like a video game beat.

Nas makes me sick with the flip-flopping....you wan kick knowledge or you wan be a gangsta son? Pick a side already.
    Nas kicking knowledge = GOAT rapper IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnbizzle
    Nas kicking knowledge = GOAT rapper IMO.
    Nas is one of my favorites I don't have an all time best but when he's on his game he is on par with anyone.

I just don't like how he switches from kicking knowledge to doing a cookie cutter brainless song with Rick Ross.

Dude need to quit the mafioso stuff, he was never a goon and everyone knows it.

Hustle Loyalty Respect Knicks101's Avatar

I was thinking about this the other day. When did Rick Ross become so good? I was listening to his debut album, and it really wasn't that great. Move on to around 2010, and dude's a f[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]cking monster. I think it's arguable that he has the most presence since Biggie. The first couple tracks on Self Made. Mainly because of Ross and his ad-libs.

Also, I think it's hilarious when people point out that he's full of shit as if it wasn't painfully obvious before we found out he was a corrections officer. Did people really believe that Noriega owed him a hundred favors?

The most presence since Biggie? Omg man sit down somewhere.

Ross is a POS rapper that talks about nothing but utter bullshit.

Hustle Loyalty Respect Knicks101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    The most presence since Biggie? Omg man sit down somewhere.

Ross is a POS rapper that talks about nothing but utter bullshit.
    Who has more? When I hear that "uhhgh" I'm like, "Oh shit, Ross is on this track".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5spMjy8uhc&ob=av3e

Seriously, who has more?

Biggie.

Rick Ross makes songs for idiotic kids and young men that want to buy into a frivolous lifestyle.

Ross's hooks suck

He has no sense of self or hip-hop

His adlibs suck

His beats are getting staler and staler by the minute

"2Pac's back"

"MC Hammer"

"Ahston Martin Music"

"Maybach Music"

"Rozaaaaaaaay"

Dude is a commercial clown.

his hooks are awesome, ur just a hater. rozay is one of the best out there today.

"I think I'm big meech, larry hoover, flippin work--ha-lle-lu-jah"

"They screamin' 2Pac's back, 2Pac's back"

PURE GENIUS!

Dude has a tight voice for rapping but his whole style is commercial garbage.

He came out with a couple bangers but that's my honest opinion.

i never claimed his hooks were pure genius, thats your words.. i just said they're good and catchy which they are.

if his style is commercial garbage doesn't really matter since it seems to be working for him.

and if hes "fake" or not i dont care about, as long as his music is good. and pretty much all the mainstream rappers today are fake anyway. they don't need to sell coke and they don't have choppahs in the car (well maybe T.I) lmao
    You knew I was being sarcastic man c'mon now.

You listed fake as a negative for Ross. Never...not ONCE did I call him fake.

I said his skills were not that of a top rapper and that he's selling a lifestyle to sheep-like people.

Plenty of wack rappers have been on top of the world for a few years.

Tell me this....where is Ross's TIMELESS song? His best work? What song will he be remembered for?

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I can recite "Come Clean" off te top of my head and probably "Braggin Writes" too. Ive heard Canibus Poet Laureate more times than ive heard people over the Amili beat.

Point? Generally speaking I **** with lyrical rappers and people who have something to say...or a jazzy old school style. And I hate virtually everything on the radio after 1996.

I am one of those rap snobs who cant even be in the room with some Gucci on. I am exactly the kind of person who mainstream rap fans hate for hating on popular music. Im an old bitter fan who wants things the way they were.

And yet......

Im not sure Rick Ross the last 3 years or so doesnt make some of the best music in rap history.

Listen to how he comes in on Maybach Music 3 or Devil in a New dress...its like a ****ing movement.

Friend of mine told me his father asked him to burn a CD of what he was playing when they rode in the car with Teflon Don on. This is a 60 year old man now. I read that Kanye said ross is the only rapper that gets played in his home. Something like hes playing Pink floyd, al Green, some old rock band...and Ross.

I believe Ross is probably respected by people who make music.

The best of his last 3-4 years in one album would be on some all time great shit in one album.

Mafia Music
    Rich off cocaine
    Tears of Joy
    Even deeper
    Yacht club
    Usual Suspects
    Freemasons
    Mafia Music 2(the video is just hilarious by the way)

With an intro and an interlude somewhere in there Wayne style that he isnt even on...perhaps Pusha Ts Can I live......throw on Aston Martin Music and superhigh somewhere in there(dont act like they were bad songs).

We would be talking an album that would be all time great. And im not sure why it seems so few notice....

People talk about him being fake as if...being fake isnt pretty much the job of a rapper these days.

Besides he explained it fine to me:

"Only live once and I got 2 kids. I'll shovel shit. I'll CO...so we can bow our heads and pray over the meatloaf".

The man makes outstanding music a good bit of the time...and his average song is pretty good.

I mean...Rakims last album wasnt as good as either of Ross last two. He is flat out one of the best...song makers..in rap music history.

Best rappers? No. But the man somehow...whatever he does....puts out a finished product that at its best is pretty much crime rap mixed with classic soul music. no doubt because he gets soul music samples then raps over it much of the time...but it works.

Ross might be the most underrated song maker by people like...me I guess.

And yes I know there is a ross topic somewhere on him not quite dying. Dont care.
    u drunk..right RIGHT!

didn't even say you called him fake brosef. thats just what most people call him.

honestly i think ross has a good flow and a unique voice, his lyrics may not be like nas, blu or someone like that but i enjoy them. atleast ross have one style and he doesn't switch between carachter (lol typo) like other rappers do. he may not be a top 10 all time rapper, but as of today he's one of the best.

and he has a good amount of bangers, and if i were to pick rozays timeless song as of right now, i would probably pick Aston Martin Music with Drakes verse to it. his best work i think is deeper than rap or teflon don.

but i don't think we have seen the best of ross yet, and i think he will continue to deliver great music. right now i don't see anyone with the same impact as him.

I respectfully disagree.

Every other line is a shout out to some product or drugs or baseless/shallow ideal.

None of his songs imo are timeless like the works of true great hip-hop artists.

What impact has he had? What acts has he put on? What do you mean by impact exactly?

I think Nas is one of those rappers were I at least consistently like at leats a few songs off each of this album at the minimum and I like all of his albums to a certain extent.

Ross has some of the greatest track presence around. He's not a word wizard or anything but I love when he jumps on a hard ass beat. Nobody can sound so badass when they say the name Archie Bunker lol

track presence?