View Poll Results: Do you care about the In Season Tournament?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's interesting

11 28.21%
  • lol Absolutely not.

28 71.79%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    truth serum

Default Re: ROLL CALL: Who here is actually intrigued by the In Season Tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by nineiron View Post
    you are
    Nobody forcing you to watch courts that make you cry my man, change the channel.....I can't imagine crying about new content in a sport I probably already consume too much of.

Good college starter

Default Re: ROLL CALL: Who here is actually intrigued by the In Season Tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by MMM View Post
    Team A lost to Team C
    And Team C lost to team B

Bos
    Orl
    And BK were all 3-1

Maybe point diffental isnt the best tie breaker and in the future they should change it but as of now i dont see this injustice done to Orl. Orl should be mad at themselves for losing to BK by 20 or not beating Chi by more. In their other 2 games they did their job
    It is absolutely an injustice because the tie breaker makes no sense and the schedule favored Boston. Boston had the luxury of knowing how many points they needed to win by to advance because Orlando had already finished their qualifying games the previous night. In one of their qualifiers, Orlando was up by 27 against Toronto before they pulled their starters and went on to win by “only” 19. Being punished for not boat racing your opponent by what could have been double that is 100% an injustice.

We were wronged and now the league will pay.
    Last edited by theman93; 11-30-2023 at 02:34 PM.

Banned

When the tournament is over and the season resumes as if it never happened, everyone will see how much of a waste of time this was. It will be great for the players that won the extra $500k, but nobody else is going to give a shit.

What does winning this cup even say about a team? Like okay congrats you won the cup, and? What does that mean? Winning a championship after a grueling post season signals to the world that you were able to compete with the absolute best of the best, endure multiple rounds of escalating pressure and intensity... and ultimately be the last ones standing.

What does winning this tournament prove? That you were able to win a random string of one off games sprinkled throughout the first quarter of the regular season? I mean... cool I guess? Is that really something worth celebrating and commemorating? Like I said earlier, I can almost envision a scenario where the players and coaches will be ashamed if they get caught celebrating too hard. Because ultimately this thing isn't going to matter.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    The players by and large seem to care. So if December pro basketball is all of a sudden better for that, then I’m in.
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-notable-stats

Stats also show that they seem to care.

Titles are overrated

The main purpose of getting players to go harder this time of year still ultimately comes down to ratings. In the long run that’s really how the tournament’s success will be measured.

fans like to brag about the high ratings of something they watched and to talk shit about the low ratings of things they don’t care about because of the sheep mentality. They want to be in the herd. The NBA doesn’t get paid by ratings. The nba gets paid by right fees. The NBA gets paid when some corporate entity pays them for the right to air these games.

Last I read YouTube was bidding to get exclusive rights on the tourney finals in the future. And the corporations don’t even use traditional ratings. They just want you to pay for their streaming service. It makes zero difference to their bottom line if you actually watch anything. hell everyone tuning in at the same time crashes some of these things. All they care about is having a compelling enough list of things to air that you keep paying the subscription fee. All the NBA cares about is that a company pays them to be part of the package that keeps them getting subscription fees.

you’re stuck with an old-school idea of where the money comes from. ESPN was by a huge margin the most profitable segment of all Disney business. That’s because no service can be taken serious without access to live sports. The rights fees reflect that. As long as people aren’t happy to watch days old sporting events that’s going to continue.

you need live sports and everyone is fighting to take over the hundreds of billions that come from subscription fees long-term. The Dome company agrees to pay the NBA $1 billion for this tournament for 10 years is the day they completely stop caring about the ratings for it. It’s entirely possible is going to air somewhere that doesn’t even have traditional ratings.

and companies were bidding on it before the games were even played. It’s a content business, not a quality engaging content business. It doesn’t have to be good or even popular. It just has to exist as a separate entity another corporation will pay you the rights for.

What’s the overhead? Whatever it cost to paint the extra tournament floors and whatever they pay their graphics people?

They’re taking games they would have to play Anyway, and marketing them as an entirely separate entity to be purchased standalone. It’s actually pretty brilliant.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    fans like to brag about the high ratings of something they watched and to talk shit about the low ratings of things they don’t care about because of the sheep mentality. They want to be in the herd. The NBA doesn’t get paid by ratings. The nba gets paid by right fees. The NBA gets paid when some corporate entity pays them for the right to air these games.

Last I read YouTube was bidding to get exclusive rights on the tourney finals in the future. And the corporations don’t even use traditional ratings. They just want you to pay for their streaming service. It makes zero difference to their bottom line if you actually watch anything. hell everyone tuning in at the same time crashes some of these things. All they care about is having a compelling enough list of things to air that you keep paying the subscription fee. All the NBA cares about is that a company pays them to be part of the package that keeps them getting subscription fees.

you’re stuck with an old-school idea of where the money comes from. ESPN was by a huge margin the most profitable segment of all Disney business. That’s because no service can be taken serious without access to live sports. The rights fees reflect that. As long as people aren’t happy to watch days old sporting events that’s going to continue.

you need live sports and everyone is fighting to take over the hundreds of billions that come from subscription fees long-term. The Dome company agrees to pay the NBA $1 billion for this tournament for 10 years is the day they completely stop caring about the ratings for it. It’s entirely possible is going to air somewhere that doesn’t even have traditional ratings.

and companies were bidding on it before the games were even played. It’s a content business, not a quality engaging content business. It doesn’t have to be good or even popular. It just has to exist as a separate entity another corporation will pay you the rights for.

What’s the overhead? Whatever it cost to paint the extra tournament floors and whatever they pay their graphics people?

They’re taking games they would have to play Anyway, and marketing them as an entirely separate entity to be purchased standalone. It’s actually pretty brilliant.
    Youre being pedantic.

When I say ratings I mean it as a catch-all for general fan interest, not as a specific mode of measurement.

And yes that does determine the long term value of these things. There's a reason the Pro Bowling Tour doesnt get these kinds of tv deals, and it isnt because company executives made some empirical decision that basketball is a better sport.

Companies are bidding on the rights to sports based on expected demand for viewership. The expectation fans will subscribe to their service or sit through their commercials or whatever because they want to see that sport. The deals they're bidding on today are based on expectations over the next five years. But if nobody watches over the next five years, what do you think happens to the value of the NBA product at the next negotiation??

You literally just argued that "The NBA doesnt care if anyone watches."

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    The next round has a few teams that people will be interested in and single elimination raises interest. Lakers/suns in the next round will have a lot of buzz even though I personally don't think the Lakers are a Champ Contender and the NBA will do well if the final is Bucks or Celtics vs, Suns or Lakers. Next year please get rid of the alternate courts and point differential tie-breaker but this tournament is a good idea.
    Yup this is it for me. I've always been curious to see how the NBA would be if they had single elimination like college or leagues like the NFL. It should in theory produce quite a bit more parity and makes both teams play the most intense they can because there's no tomorrow. Now, I do think they should add some sort of large advantage for the playoffs to up the ante even more with something like home court in the Finals. That would likely interest players and also likely never come into play as it is difficult to make the Finals, therefor doesn't really give unfair advantages to good teams

Please clap.

An automatic playoffs bid may work well. Home court may not simply because winning the tourney has nothing to do with making the Finals. You would certainly see who believes their team can it all though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dbrog View Post
    Yup this is it for me. I've always been curious to see how the NBA would be if they had single elimination like college or leagues like the NFL. It should in theory produce quite a bit more parity and makes both teams play the most intense they can because there's no tomorrow. Now, I do think they should add some sort of large advantage for the playoffs to up the ante even more with something like home court in the Finals. That would likely interest players and also likely never come into play as it is difficult to make the Finals, therefor doesn't really give unfair advantages to good teams
    just imagine how bad LeCoward would choke in a single elimination game.

They’re eating cats!

Who here is like me and still doesn't know or understand the first thing about how this tournament works??

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I'm wondering about how they work the schedule now. It was already uneven and now they're leaving a week open and filling it later. How are they deciding who plays who and what games are left off the schedule in the first place?

Please clap.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    Who here is like me and still doesn't know or understand the first thing about how this tournament works??
    To be fair trying to explain even the most basic concepts to you is like teaching calculus to a monkey.

Please clap.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    I'm wondering about how they work the schedule now. It was already uneven and now they're leaving a week open and filling it later. How are they deciding who plays who and what games are left off the schedule in the first place?
    All games will be played. The teams that do well in the tournament will just play a few more. Single elimination with 8 teams remaining so 4 of those teams have 1 more game, 2 have two more and 2 have three.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

All games will be played. The teams that do well in the tournament will just play a few more. Single elimination with 8 teams remaining so 4 of those teams have 1 more game, 2 have two more and 2 have three.
    only the final two teams play extra games

NBA Superstar

To be fair trying to explain even the most basic concepts to you is like teaching calculus to a monkey.