Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    National High School Star

Default Re: Is Ant>Tatum an unreasonable take at this point?

Yes...Tatum has basically put himself in the hall of fame this season. Once you get 5 All-Star appearances, 3 All-NBA and 4 conference and NBA finals runs and now they have the best record in the league.

Anthony Edwards might be the best player of his generation but this is just a run...Ja Morant, Luka Doncic, Trae Young all had single runs. Now if he gets a ring or an MVP the conversation changes a bit

Cali Love

Lightbulb Re: Is Ant>Tatum an unreasonable take at this point?

Tatum can be a liability in crunch time. Average handles average jumper. Derrick White bailed them out yesterday at Chicago.

He's still ahead of Ant but I think by next season that will change.

NBA Superstar

Ant certainly has more upside, but at the moment it’d be Tatum. So no I don’t think it’s unreasonable.

But 2 years from now I think Ant will be firmly in that top 5 in the league and truly competing for MVPs.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John8204 View Post
    Yes...Tatum has basically put himself in the hall of fame this season. Once you get 5 All-Star appearances, 3 All-NBA and 4 conference and NBA finals runs and now they have the best record in the league.

Anthony Edwards might be the best player of his generation but this is just a run...Ja Morant, Luka Doncic, Trae Young all had single runs. Now if he gets a ring or an MVP the conversation changes a bit

Luka feels like a weird one to say had a run. How long are we saying he run was? Kinda feels like…it’s been 5 years. Hes been an all time great since his second season started. He was all nba first team at 20.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

It’s being revisited for obvious reasons

Just yesterday I was listening to the Zach Lowe podcast and he asked the question ' for one playoff series would you choose Ant or Tatum '. Both guys chose Ant.

Then today I get this:

https://youtube.com/shorts/IIZWzka5g...8dLam4iwLjM4rz

Well obviously if Edwards is gonna keep doing what he's done in the playoffs so far he's pretty much the choice over everyone. If he keeps shooting 55% on high volume the way he has in 4 out of their first 5 games, there's not much to discuss. He's that guy.

It's still a small sample size tho. The good sign is that the one bad shooting night he had, when he went 3 for 12, he did have 8 assists which was his playoff high. And that's what I wanna see. When the shot's not falling, can he still CONTROL the offense. That's what takes you from being an MJ comparison... to being a Lebron comparison.

But he's been very impressive so far, and a lot of fun to watch. I still think it's tougher these days to have a primary play maker who's smaller, when you look at all the top guys (in the regular season) and see the size of Joker, Giannis, Embiid, Luka, Shai... there's clearly a size trend. With today's spacing it's just easier to pass out of the paint as a taller player. But Edwards obviously has all-time level athleticism, so that compensates to an extent.

He's progressing very impressively tho. You can tell he's hungry and he wants it. Which is so important because it's something you cant teach a guy no matter how gifted he is. Not that I'm looking at you Joel Embiid.

Very good NBA starter

I've known of Ant of course, but didn't watch that much, so it was interesting to see a full playoff game.

What surprised me was how versatile and complete scoring game he has already, really can do all distances, 3 pointers, midrange, postup. No weakness. Particularly liked the baseline moves, long time since we saw that.

I didn't notice a lot of playmaking which could be a weakness.

I think he could project to be a D-Wade level player. Not on Kobe/MJ trajectory - yet.

National High School Star WhiteKyrie's Avatar

Ant is better. More dimensional scorer. Better defender. More entertaining personality. Seems like the best teammate you could have and has an innate feel when to take over games.

Can ant become better than butler one of these days? He still has a long way to go but would definitely love to see that happening.

Ant still needs to perfect the spin dribble