Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: Give me the best and worst player on each of these short lists please.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Not really because what’s required then is a breakdown that includes positional issues, offense you play in, the number of times you do each of them and so on. Never mind the abstract issues like how much it matters who in particular misses a shot when your team as a whole is gonna miss about the same number anyway. It takes you down a deeper hole of variables and actual basketball discussion. True shooting is just lazy. And it’s fine to be lazy. We don’t always have time to consider why Cedric Maxwells advances shooting numbers are what they are as opposed to Glen Rice and what that says about their total games.

But if you are trying to make a real comparison you make time....or you’re just making noise.

well yea... you have to compare apples to apples.

shaq didnt play like harden. Compare Shaq's numbers to the hakeem's, kareem's, and wilt's. Thats fine to do with ORTG or TS.

anybody can say any number doesnt matter if they just make silly comparisons like comparing 5th options to 2nd options or guys who play nothing alike.

Default Re: Give me the best and worst player on each of these short lists please.

Efficiency? People already dont care if you make more of your shots if your combined 3(field goal, 3 point, and FT) percentages are worse.

There is absolutely no reason to combine the 3 into one number that still requires you look at the other 3 to know how it was reached....but people arent gonna stop doing it. Ive seen people say Shaq was worse on offense than any number of people specifically because of his lack of "Efficiency". 4 of the last 5 years Hardens TS was higher in the playoffs than Shaqs in 2000 and ive absolutely heard people bring it up.

Stupid people. But it comes up.
    Well, unfortunately I can't argue this.

Shaq has gone up in recent years tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    Why use any stat then? Like ever?

Having basic knowledge of the players role isn't asking too much. That's all that is required for TS to matter.
    TS doesn't matter.

Saved you time.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

The other issue with TS % is it distorts positional comparisons. Generally, the smaller the player, the better the FT %--but these also are the players with the worst FG %.

The difference between someone going 13/20 and 17/20 should also be factored in. One is contributing more points on the same attempts, there should be a stat that tells us this.
    It should--but I would separate FT's out from eFG %. TS % would imply the 13/20 guy shouldn't be taking 20 FTA's because he is "inefficient" at it--instead he should have taken lower percentage FGA attempts, which doesn't make sense.

TS % also obscures the damage done to a team by a guy going 9 for 25 (assume all twos) who happens to go 9 from 10 from the line. TS % says that is a decent outing: 27 points on 25 shots but obscures the damage done by such an inefficient player taking that many FGA and wasting possessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock View Post
    The other issue with TS % is it distorts positional comparisons. Generally, the smaller the player, the better the FT %--but these also are the players with the worst FG %.
    Exactly. James Harden, for example, is a career 61% TS scorer but basically shoots 44% from the field since playing for Houston. Shaq in his prime hit 60% once, in 2003.

I'll use TS% time to time because posters I communicate with here and the other board do.

The only issue I have is the affinity with freethrows.

Freethrows are part of the game. Understandable. What I don't like is a mediocre or average 'efficient player' can resemble an efficiency monster. You're a volume chucker who shoots too many bad shots, but because you can make a freethrow...I'm supposed to call you efficient now? That's not ALWAYS the case but that part is dumb.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    well yea... you have to compare apples to apples.

shaq didnt play like harden. Compare Shaq's numbers to the hakeem's, kareem's, and wilt's. Thats fine to do with ORTG or TS.

anybody can say any number doesnt matter if they just make silly comparisons like comparing 5th options to 2nd options or guys who play nothing alike.

Thing is....comparing two basketball players you DONT have to compare apples to apples. Nobody sits befuddled because they were asked if they want Mutombo or Glen Rice. The very act of ranking players requires you list players of different types. Especially if you go all time. Even among similar positions guys play very different games in the same basic role. You dont need apples to apples to compare basketball ability. Only to compare stats. The problem is....so many people act like they are the same thing.

I dont give a **** about Paul George not playing like Larry Johnson or Mark Jackson or whoever. I can evaluate them just fine on their own or against eachother. Basketball has no problem there.

Stats do. Which is why they are often out of place in a basketball talk.

Kg - best
    Chris Paul
    David Robinson
    Durant
    Dirk
    Nash - worst

Tmac
    Pierce
    Vince Carter
    Grant Hill
    Paul George - worst
    Leonard - best

Giannis - best
    Karl Malone
    James Harden - worst
    Isiah Thomas
    Doctor J

****Trolls delight****
    Kyrie
    Pau Gasol
    Pippen - best
    Dumars
    Klay - worst
    ****Trolls Delight****

Jason Kidd
    Steph Curry - best
    Gary Payton - worst
    Wade
    Clyde Drexler

Lillard
    Ray Allen - best
    Reggie Miller
    Mitch Richmond
    Manu - worst

Ben Gordon
    Lou Williams
    Barbosa
    Jason Terry - best
    John Starks
    Jamal Crawford - worst

Magic Johnson
    Tim Duncan
    Shaq - best
    Kobe - worst
    Hakeem

Some were pretty tough and the worst close to the best.

Facts Are Misleading

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock View Post

It should--but I would separate FT's out from eFG %. TS % would imply the 13/20 guy shouldn't be taking 20 FTA's because he is "inefficient" at it--instead he should have taken lower percentage FGA attempts, which doesn't make sense.

TS % also obscures the damage done to a team by a guy going 9 for 25 (assume all twos) who happens to go 9 from 10 from the line. TS % says that is a decent outing: 27 points on 25 shots but obscures the damage done by such an inefficient player taking that many FGA and wasting possessions.
    Actually if you read my post - TS implies the player shooting 13/20 should absolute continue doing that because it's a TS% of 74..... That's unheard of efficiency.

Quick edit. Just realized I picked McGrady below Paul George. No offense to George, but I have to take that back and edit.

Facts Are Misleading

Also, that scenario you posted about 9/25 but going 9/10 FT is not a good example on your part.

That's a 46 TS% so it values that type of performance in the right light generally speaking, an inefficient scoring output.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

It seems people are really over Steve Nash. Which seems odd to me in this day of "But look at the shooting numbers...." and orating and all that nonsense. Nash gives you 16-19 a game...shoots 52-55%....42-45% from 3...might shoot 89% from the line in a bad year. Guy had a 51/43/95 season scoring 17 a game leading the league in assists winning 55 games and losing to the champs in the WCF. And he was 36. IT wasnt nearly his best season.

We not giving a **** anymore?

Just curious. People used to get on me for not praising him more.

NBA sixth man of the year

Kg
    Chris Paul
    David Robinson
    Durant
    Dirk
    Nash

Best: Dirk
    Worst: Nash

Tmac
    Pierce
    Vince Carter
    Grant Hill
    Paul George
    Leonard

Best: Leonard
    Worst: Paul George

Giannis
    Karl Malone
    James Harden
    Isiah Thomas
    Doctor J

Best: Giannis
    Worst: Isaiah Thomas

****Trolls delight****
    Kyrie
    Pau Gasol
    Pippen
    Dumars
    Klay
    ****Trolls Delight****

Best: Pippen
    Worst: Klay

Jason Kidd
    Steph Curry
    Gary Payton
    Wade
    Clyde Drexler

Best: Wade
    Worst: Gary Payton

Lillard
    Ray Allen
    Reggie Miller
    Mitch Richmond
    Manu

Best: Manu
    Worst: lillard

Ben Gordon
    Lou Williams
    Barbosa
    Jason Terry
    John Starks
    Jamal Crawford

Best: Jason Terry
    Worst: Barbosa

Magic Johnson
    Tim Duncan
    Shaq
    Kobe
    Hakeem

Best: Shaq
    Worst: Kobe

Facts Are Misleading

It seems people are really over Steve Nash. Which seems odd to me in this day of "But look at the shooting numbers...." and orating and all that nonsense. Nash gives you 16-19 a game...shoots 52-55%....42-45% from 3...might shoot 89% from the line in a bad year. Guy had a 51/43/95 season scoring 17 a game leading the league in assists winning 55 games and losing to the champs in the WCF. And he was 36. IT wasnt nearly his best season.

We not giving a **** anymore?

Just curious. People used to get on me for not praising him more.
    It's definitely centered around the stigma that he is a complete liability on defense.

It's not actually true, but that's the reason for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    First I did specify that Robinson was shit in 94. I didn't neglect to mention that. In 95 he got shat on by Hakeem but Dream was shitting on everyone that year. They played in different eras and against different players so that needs to be weighed too. David Robinson in 2011 is probably better than in 1995 expressly because the league wasn't as physical, which is why he wasn't as good in the playoffs compared to the regular season. 2009 Dwight Howard was more raw than peak Robinson and got to the finals, so I'm looking at the two in a vacuum. How well do you think Dirk's game holds in the 95 playoffs?

Dirk also did have 07 as the first seed. That's probably as low as Robinson's playoff blunders. He had less of those, and higher highs in the postseason.
    No idea, and I don‘t think it matters. I just compare what they did in their respective era.