Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Report: Suns hire Mike Budenholzer as HC.

Quote Originally Posted by “Shams Charania”
    Mike Budenholzer has agreed to terms on a five-year, $50-plus million deal to become the new head coach of the Phoenix Suns, league sources tell
    @TheAthletic @Stadium
    . Suns land the two-time NBA Coach of the Year and Arizona native.
    Source

Bud’s stock unsurprisingly improved as the Bucks struggled during his sabbatical, and now he’s already back in the coaching scene.

Thoughts on how this’ll impact Phoenix’s title-contention aspirations? As much as I’ve criticized Bud’s oft-mulish decision-making in the playoffs, it’s hard for me to doubt they’ll improve in the regular season and defensively. Not to mention, the two-time CoY will have the most starpower he’s ever had so far.
    Last edited by Naero; 05-11-2024 at 08:24 PM.

Default Re: Report: Suns hire Mike Budenholzer as HC.

Im flabbergasted by this honestly.

Theyre gonna end up payin Vogel 30 million for one year of service, just to replace him with a guy who’s frankly very similar, for 50 million.

And they have very little roster flexibility if I understand correctly. Its gonna be the same team, with KD another year older and another year more apathetic. They do NOT have a championship lineup. No coach can fix their problems.

I gotta get Ishbia to toss me a quick million, I can have the same impact on this team’s results next year as Bud will.

Quote Originally Posted by Naero View Post
    Source

Bud’s stock unsurprisingly improved as the Bucks struggled during his sabbatical, and now he’s already back in the coaching scene.

Thoughts on how this’ll impact Phoenix’s title-contention aspirations? As much as I’ve criticized Bud’s oft-mulish decision-making in the playoffs, it’s hard for me to doubt they’ll improve in the regular season and defensively. Not to mention, the two-time CoY will have the most starpower he’s ever had so far.
    I disagreed with your entire post, but the bolded is wild. I would easily take Giannis/Middleton/Jrue over Booker/Beal/36 year old KD. Like Fultz said, I'm skeptical this move changes anything, best case scenario they might win a playoff series.

It won't move the needle. Suns fans are already excited about it and now discussing the potential of obtaining Valencenias...like the dude that is the carbon copy of Nurkic. All suns fans are idiots.

Anyone with an ounce of hoops know they should blow this shit up, including trading Booker...the non superstar-superstar. Grayson Allen was the only one with any dawg in him in that entire team. I called it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

needs a PG for sure.

NBA rookie of the year BarberSchool's Avatar

Ishbia deserves to be the least profitable NBA team owner. Well on his way. I bet he also fires all his advisors before their terms are up. Wasting hundreds of millions, left wondering why he couldn’t just have instant gratification by buying it. What an absolute nebbishy little sucker that nobody respects, and everybody laughs at.

Quote Originally Posted by BarberSchool View Post
    Ishbia deserves to be the least profitable NBA team owner. Well on his way. I bet he also fires all his advisors before their terms are up. Wasting hundreds of millions, left wondering why he couldn’t just have instant gratification by buying it. What an absolute nebbishy little sucker that nobody respects, and everybody laughs at.
    i mean he did a college title and owns the largest (or one of, enough to make dan gilbert jelous of him) mortgage companies out there.

his mistake was having isiah thomas as the shadow advisor and then running everything through james jones (who doesn't belong anywhere near an NBA exec office). actually he reigned in KD on his first day as owner, so maybe a lil too much mark cuban agressiveness before the chair got warm.

may be great at business...but he should have hired real professionals for this NBA stuff.

for bud, this is an absolute win. 50 mill to coach for what, max 2 years before getting fired? and he's an arizona native so he'll be close to his roots. if it goes great for him (chances are slim) then awesome...if it goes bad (high probability) then he'll still get 50 mill at the end of the day.

Kd's sixth coach in the last six years.

Made that high school varsity squad

Most NBA teams treat coaches like primitive tribes treated chiefs who were unable to make it rain. The main difference is that getting paid millions for not working stings a lot less than getting killed and eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey View Post
    for bud, this is an absolute win. 50 mill to coach for what, max 2 years before getting fired? and he's an arizona native so he'll be close to his roots. if it goes great for him (chances are slim) then awesome...if it goes bad (high probability) then he'll still get 50 mill at the end of the day.
    Exactly my thought. 2yrs. $25mill per year essentially after he gets fired in 2yrs. It's a riot of a deal!

6 coaches in 6 years for KD I read.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Milwaukee screwed up firing him so good for him. I don't think he can make Phoenix champions at this stage of durant's career (he's going to be 36 with an Achilles in his past) but they could be very good if they make a trade like Beal for Smart plus 30 mil in player salary dump. That 30 mil could give them some depth and Smart gives them a point guard and leader, which they clearly missed without Chris Paul. Also a strong defender. Beal isn't going to be useful when he's only the second best SG on their team plus they have Grayson Allen making it so that something like 3 of the 5 best players on the team are shooting guards. A team that lacks depth yet still manages to be redundant with the talent that they have needs to make some trades.

it all comes down to the top decision makers mindset, is it "I want results, I don't care who and how those productions come from", or if its "I have a certain play style in mind (a thing soon to be part of the ancient past), tell me what you need and get it done"

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

All these recycled coaches.