Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Draymond kind of won that argument at the end

https://x.com/thedunkcentral/status/1793362187110526978?s=46&t=6wC01e_jvrTUpW4eOxrXKA

Full discussion around 27 minutes of the YouTube or just watch the Twitter highlight.

he acknowledges he couldn’t personally defend Shaq. Shaq tells him he would have Derek Fisher allow Steph to drive so he could lay him out. Draymond said now there’s a fight and pointed out there if he and Shaq both go…. Warriors win.

Something about Shaqs immediate reversal on the fight idea after that made me laugh.

Default Re: Draymond kind of won that argument at the end

Very entertaining discussion. Whole thing was nice.

Shaq still bewildered about why Kobe isnt in the goat convo lol.

Jokic Stan

The casual NBA fans really suck at these kind of topics. It literally devolves into who's gonna guard Shaq or Kobe durrrrr?

As if basketball is only a 2v2 sport. It is SO clear that the KD/Curry Warriors will beat the 2000-2002 Lakers. Shaq would go off for his 40/20, but I really don't think Kobe would out-impact Curry or KD. And frankly, the Warriors 3-10 players are better than the Lakers 3-10 players, AND the Warriors have a more effective modern offense. And of course, casuals always forget the Warriors were either the best or 2nd best defensive team in the league too.

It's NOT about how the superstars play (Shaq/Kobe or MJ/Pippen), it's the fact that as a whole team and playstyle philosophy, the 96-98 Bulls and 00-02 Lakers CANNOT keep pace with the Warriors play. You can't beat the Warriors making 5 threes per game and constantly having 1 or even 2 complete ineffective role players on the court at the same time against the Warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongLurk View Post
    The casual NBA fans really suck at these kind of topics. It literally devolves into who's gonna guard Shaq or Kobe durrrrr?

As if basketball is only a 2v2 sport. It is SO clear that the KD/Curry Warriors will beat the 2000-2002 Lakers. Shaq would go off for his 40/20, but I really don't think Kobe would out-impact Curry or KD. And frankly, the Warriors 3-10 players are better than the Lakers 3-10 players, AND the Warriors have a more effective modern offense. And of course, casuals always forget the Warriors were either the best or 2nd best defensive team in the league too.

It's NOT about how the superstars play (Shaq/Kobe or MJ/Pippen), it's the fact that as a whole team and playstyle philosophy, the 96-98 Bulls and 00-02 Lakers CANNOT keep pace with the Warriors play. You can't beat the Warriors making 5 threes per game and constantly having 1 or even 2 complete ineffective role players on the court at the same time against the Warriors.
    Yet the 2020 Lakers had the #1 seed and won the title while being one of the worst 3PT shooting teams in the league. No one respected their role players from deep. They won with size and defense. Those Shaq & Kobe teams would be living at the FT line and their defense & rebounding would offset the advantage that GS would have from 3.

That 2016 Cavs - GSW finals is another great example. Warriors made 38 more threes, shot about 5% better from deep & still lost the series because Cavs controlled the boards and dominated them with their size & physicality. In that Game 7 the Cavs shot 6/25 from three compared to GS' 15/41 and Cavs won the game.

What RULES are we playing under?

Under the soft rules the Dubs played under the Lakers/Bulls are ripping more 3's.

Under the real rules (mens rules) the Dubs offense isn't nearly as effective and potent.

NBA rookie of the year BarberSchool's Avatar

Dray won “by decision”, after getting clever, and not focusing on “who would win the fight”, but viewing the fight as a dual ejection tool

Shaq had his entire energy shifted by Dray cleverness.

I absolutely despise/hate Dray as a player.

But I gotta say, maybe it’s just by comparison since Shaq and Kenny are so MF terrible, in their own ways ….

…. But I really do enjoy Draymond as a commentator.
    I thought he was just attention-starved, but he adds far far far more solid insight that Shaq or Kenny ever do.
    All Kenny’s supposed “insight” is just barely-applicable and even completely non-applicable bluster/bullsh!t, that often barely even supports his own basic biased narrative of “why”. Kenny bullsh!t only fools people who never played the game at a decent level.

Chuck ain’t all that insightful either , but he’s genuinely charming and funny and likable.

Oddly enough, the way I hate dray as a player but love him as a commentator, is the exact opposite I feel about Shaq. As a little boy, I LOVED SHAQ AND PENNY, so much, but shaq as a commentator, offers Jack sh!t. Dude just phones it in with lame cliches. It’s obvious he doesn’t even watch games much at all. Zero value, other than him and chuck threatening each other

College star

The Lakers weren't attempting 5 3PA though. At least, not when it mattered the most - the playoffs.

'00 LAL: 15.4 3PA | .349%
    '01 LAL: 15.9 3PA | .386%
    '02 LAL: 18.0 3PA | .339%

The 2018 Rockets took the Warriors to 7 games and shot 31% from 3. I think it's a bit naive to think the Lakers wouldn't be able to post similar numbers. And unlike Houston, the Lakers have Shaq sitting on the inside to draw doubles and triples to leave their shooters open on the outside.

Jokic Stan

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsNY View Post
    The Lakers weren't attempting 5 3PA though. At least, not when it mattered the most - the playoffs.

'00 LAL: 15.4 3PA | .349%
    '01 LAL: 15.9 3PA | .386%
    '02 LAL: 18.0 3PA | .339%

The 2018 Rockets took the Warriors to 7 games and shot 31% from 3. I think it's a bit naive to think the Lakers wouldn't be able to post similar numbers. And unlike Houston, the Lakers have Shaq sitting on the inside to draw doubles and triples to leave their shooters open on the outside.
    I said MAKING 5 threes a game. Not taking.

You guys just don't get it

Jokic Stan

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer View Post
    What RULES are we playing under?

Under the soft rules the Dubs played under the Lakers/Bulls are ripping more 3's.

Under the real rules (mens rules) the Dubs offense isn't nearly as effective and potent.
    The 00-02 Lakers have a better chance due to Shaq honestly than the 96-98 Bulls.

Playing in the late 90's "rules" still gives the Warriors an advantage because not only can they be more physical on defense (remember they were top 2 defense), but the Warriors can now OBLITERATE the shortened 3-point line.

Jokic Stan

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    Yet the 2020 Lakers had the #1 seed and won the title while being one of the worst 3PT shooting teams in the league. No one respected their role players from deep. They won with size and defense. Those Shaq & Kobe teams would be living at the FT line and their defense & rebounding would offset the advantage that GS would have from 3.

That 2016 Cavs - GSW finals is another great example. Warriors made 38 more threes, shot about 5% better from deep & still lost the series because Cavs controlled the boards and dominated them with their size & physicality. In that Game 7 the Cavs shot 6/25 from three compared to GS' 15/41 and Cavs won the game.
    We are not talking about the 2020 Lakers nor the 16 Cavs/Warriors.

The 17/18/19 Warriors beat all of those teams, especially the 17 Warriors.

Shaq isn't as bad as he used to be but is still annoying. His only legit contribution to the show is Shaqtin a fool.

We are not talking about the 2020 Lakers nor the 16 Cavs/Warriors.

The 17/18/19 Warriors beat all of those teams, especially the 17 Warriors.
    I'm saying the 3PT advantage itself isn't enough. They're not stopping the Lakers from scoring in the paint and they're not beating them on the boards. There's plenty of examples of great 3PT shooting teams losing in the Playoffs.

Warriors do not have the personnel to defend the Lakers. Lakers have the personnel to defend GS. Lakers have the better HC. Lakers have the two best players in the series. The 3PT advantage itself isn't enough.

Jokic Stan

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    I'm saying the 3PT advantage itself isn't enough. They're not stopping the Lakers from scoring in the paint and they're not beating them on the boards. There's plenty of examples of great 3PT shooting teams losing in the Playoffs.

Warriors do not have the personnel to defend the Lakers. Lakers have the personnel to defend GS. Lakers have the better HC. Lakers have the two best players in the series. The 3PT advantage itself isn't enough.
    It's not just 3 pointers. Are you serious? You can't be serious with your posts here.

The Lakers do NOT have the personnel to defend the Warriors

The Warriors can defend the Lakers much better because the Lakers can't space the floor correctly and have too many non-impact role players. Shaq is dominating but Kobe is not guaranteed at all to pop off against Klay, Dray, Iggy, and Durant constantly switching on him.

You are literally just living in a fantasy land right now with your posts.

College star

I said MAKING 5 threes a game. Not taking.

You guys just don't get it
    My bad. Misread. The idea remains the same though. The Rockets shot poorly and still took the series to 7 games. And I don't think the 2018 Rockets, despite winning 65 games, were as good as those 2000s Lakers teams.

It's not just 3 pointers. Are you serious? You can't be serious with your posts here.

The Lakers do NOT have the personnel to defend the Warriors

The Warriors can defend the Lakers much better because the Lakers can't space the floor correctly and have too many non-impact role players. Shaq is dominating but Kobe is not guaranteed at all to pop off against Klay, Dray, Iggy, and Durant constantly switching on him.

You are literally just living in a fantasy land right now with your posts.
    Cavs had a non-shooter in TT playing 26 mpg with mediocre shooters in RJ and Shumpert being apart of the rotation as well and they had no trouble scoring the ball.

None of those guys are stopping athletic prime KB lol. They couldn't stop either of Lebron or Kyrie but you think Kobe would have trouble scoring on them? Please. Even a past-prime Kobe consistently gave it to Klay, apart from his last season in the league. If year 19 Kobe could drop 44 and 28 on Dray & Klay I think '01 KB would do just fine.

If we play by today's rules as well there's nothing they can do to stop Shaq or KB, sorry.