1 3.33%
  • Timberwolves in 6-7

14 46.67%
  • Mavericks in 4-5

2 6.67%
  • Mavericks in 6-7

13 43.33%
Page 19 of 73 FirstFirst ... 9161718192021222969 ... LastLast

Default Re: Western Conference Finals: (3) Minnesota Timberwolves vs. (5) Dallas Mavericks

I'm rooting for Minny to make the finals and Rudy to win FMVP just to see the Warriors backpack's reaction afterwards. But it's scary hours that Mavs already won away from home for game 1. I think they've lost all game 1s outside of one series in the Kidd Mavs era since last night.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: Western Conference Finals: (3) Minnesota Timberwolves vs. (5) Dallas Mavericks

Quote Originally Posted by hold this L View Post
    I'm rooting for Minny to make the finals and Rudy to win FMVP just to see the Warriors backpack's reaction afterwards. But it's scary hours that Mavs already won away from home for game 1. I think they've lost all game 1s outside of one series in the Kidd Mavs era since last night.
    the backpack

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    The Dallas role players do a great job filling their roles playing off Luka and Kyrie, but boy when they have to run actions without either of those two involved they look like absolute chickens with their heads cut off
    I was screaming my ****ing face off rewatching the 2nd half.

Every single time someone other than Luka or Kyrie handled the ball it was a turnover waiting to happen.

I couldnt believe it. I think it was at the end of the 3rd quarter where Luka was out a bit before coming back in and I couldnt believe Kyrie just kept passing the ball to others to bring it up, resulted in several turnovers.

In general they made some stupid plays that can be completely controlled. Gafford had a TO dribbling in traffic when it was clear he wouldnt get out of there, someone else had a TO after Kyrie passed it to him late in the 3rd, Washington let Towns poke the ball away, Green had that super risky slip pass at the end of the game that went out of bounds, Green missed that dunk after the amazing Luka pass, it goes down as Luka TO but Hardy or Jones could have caught that pass at the baseline when he was doubled/tripled, Lively double dribble when Jones Jr was waiting for an open 3, there were a lot of frustrating plays. And that inbound pass at the end was really stupid, Kidd should have called a timeout.

And they shot like shit from 3.

And they won.

Last edited by ArbitraryWater; 05-23-2024 at 09:38 AM.

Very good NBA starter

Mavs role players didn't look good, so homecourt should give them a boost. If the game is similar but role players play better, then it's over.

Minny will do some adjustments though.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    For one Doncic isn't 4 inches taller than Edwards, two even if he is that means Edwards should be faster than him as smaller players tend to have a speed advantage which is all you need to get a step and then pull up and shoot.

This is just stupid offense to dribble through your legs 50 times and then just settle for a 3. Takes all the pressure off the D.

If Edwards wants to be known as an elite player, that strategy ain't it. Get you ass into the mid range, beat your defender off the dribble and get a mid range jumper. If Dwayne Wade and Kawhi Leonard can do it, don't gimme that nonsense of "the game has changed too much", no it hasn't.
    Edwards had a stat sheet similar to James Harden in this 12 from beyond the arc and only 4 inside. Mavs like that.

NBA rookie of the year BarberSchool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat View Post
    Story of the half on other forums are how Ant got cooked over and over.
    https://streamable.com/e/urabq4?

Rewatching and Ant is getting cooked regularly by Kyrie and even a few times by Luka. As for off ball “head scratching defense” Watch Ant on this possession. Looks very Westbrick-ish. He just ball-watches with zero head movement to track his own man, completely loses his man DJJ, then when Luka passes to his cutting man, Ant’s instinct is the exact opposite of what it should be, he moved AWAY from the action…..

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BarberSchool View Post
    https://streamable.com/e/urabq4?

Rewatching and Ant is getting cooked regularly by Kyrie and even a few times by Luka. As for off ball “head scratching defense” Watch Ant on this possession. Looks very Westbrick-ish. He just ball-watches with zero head movement to track his own man, completely loses his man DJJ, then when Luka passes to his cutting man, Ant’s instinct is the exact opposite of what it should be, he moved AWAY from the action…..

Have you inspected whether his ears are small and curled?

Kyrie looked like Cavs Kyrie last night. Insane game from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally450 View Post
    Kyrie looked like Cavs Kyrie last night. Insane game from him.
    It’s all on him and Doncic. If they play like they did last night theyll win the series. They arent gonna be able to get away with slumps like they did vs the Thunder and Clippers methinks. But they also looked pretty comfortable against the Minny D.

My first reaction to this matchup was that it was very good for the Wolves, but as we were discussing it yesterday, and then of course confirmed by the game, it felt like maybe Dallas did have some advantages they could play to. This Wolves team, as even Jokic pointed out was built to stop Denver. The Nuggets play inside out. The Mavs play outside in.

Still just 1 game, series could easily go either way still, but clearly this isnt the nightmare matchup for Dallas I expected at first glance. Now it’s time to see what the adjustments are in game 2.

This Wolves team, as even Jokic pointed out was built to stop Denver. The Nuggets play inside out. The Mavs play outside in.
    Bingo.

And that's toodys weakness. He's used to plodding around the rim just gooning guys. Hes not even remotely skilled at basketball. The lob threat of Lively and Gafford has to keep him honest though.

And on the flipside, the Nuggets rim protection is all time bad where Dallas centers actually contest shots.

If the role players can shoot better than 15% from 3... it's a wrap. But you know the league wants long series so to sweep quick would take some red hot shooting from PJ, Green, and DJJ.

Long Live The Process fourkicks44's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post
    I wanted to tell you that the Mavs will make you eat crow but was too tired, so here it is

You sticking by your pick or have changed feelings now?

I'm definitely sticking with it. I knew Dallas could win that game, hence why I thought it would go 6. I still think the Mavs will win one more at home and the Wolves win the rest.

Gafford has shown his limitations already and Livley and Washington were good this game but I just don't think they can be depended this series againt this opposition.

I sure as hell don't doubt Kyrie or Luka can drag them to a victory but overall I think Minnesota is too much for them in 7 games.

Quote Originally Posted by fourkicks44 View Post
    I'm definitely sticking with it. I knew Dallas could win that game, hence why I thought it would go 6. I still think the Mavs will win one more at home and the Wolves win the rest.

Gafford has shown his limitations already and Livley and Washington were good this game but I just don't think they can be depended this series againt this opposition.

I sure as hell don't doubt Kyrie or Luka can drag them to a victory but overall I think Minnesota is too much for them in 7 games.
    You knew Dallas could win even though they were ice cold from 3?

If somebody told you Kyrie would shoot 0% from 3 and Luka 30% and the role players even worse who would've thought Dallas could've won?

And it wasn't like they were heavily contested heaves... Mavs were missing wide open 3s.

This is getting ahead of ourselves BUT, it would be quite a full circle irony if Luka and Porzingis meet in the finals as opponents, after their experiment as a star partnership failed to live up to expectations.

The worrying thing for Minny is that Luka/Kyrie didn't seem the least bit bothered by their defense. In particular Luka had no issues with McDaniels who is an elite defender, but is pretty skinny.

It might be better to put McDaniels on Kyrie and leave Ant on Luka, knowing that Ant can't guard Luka. I think McDaniels length would be more effective against Kyrie.

Also Minny's drop coverage didnt work well, although it probably did limit the number of 3s Dallas attempted.

Long Live The Process fourkicks44's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    You knew Dallas could win even though they were ice cold from 3?

If somebody told you Kyrie would shoot 0% from 3 and Luka 30% and the role players even worse who would've thought Dallas could've won?

And it wasn't like they were heavily contested heaves... Mavs were missing wide open 3s.
    This was my prediction before the game,

Quote Originally Posted by fourkicks44 View Post
    I don't buy into the sustainability of Dallas' defense tbh. Their zone has been good, but I think the Wolves are really going to expose them big time this series.

I voted Minnesota in 6 but that might be generous. Without HCA, if the Mavs don't win tonight this is done in 5 IMHO.
    I legitimately thought they could win game one hence why I stated it as there best possibility to win in this series.

Minnesota won 3 games in Denver last series proving to themselves that HCA isn't some huge advantage for them. I felt game one in Minnesota was going to mean more to Dallas and thought they had a good shot. Once again as I stated that was their best chance to make this go 6.

Dallas shooting poorly doesn't surprise and neither does the Wolves losing at home.