Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Buying my first gun soon

Finally got my FOID card, planning picking up a Walther PPK, or PPK/S in the very near future. Eye balling some of these.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/884381105

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/885236232

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/882798189

Anyone here fire it before?

Default Re: Buying my first gun soon

No, I'd personally go for something else.

I would like to point out though that the poster above me is acting like he's ever held a gun in his life.

^
    I wish i was actually holding one right now so i could finally blow your ugly ass dickhead off, ya deranged piece of scum.

I see you're on meth again as usual. Stop it before it's too late.

No I never shot a walther ppk because I'm not a prostitute

"i hear them walters like to jump some"

NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

Just a bad choice for a first gun. Unless you plan on concealed carry and want a cool looking piece. Either that or you're a vintage James Bond fan.

.380 is a good back up gun and nice and slim for concealed carry but that's about it. The ammo is usually more expensive than 9mm which is more powerful and it seems like it's one of the first to go out of stock during shortages like right now. The big ammo companies like to concentrate on pumping out .22, 9mm, .40, .45 and 5.56 during high demand times.

The Walther can also be finicky gun as well. Better to stick with a workhorse 9mm like an ultra reliable Glock 19 or a S&W M&P 9mm for a first gun unless you have the bucks for a Sig.

If you're buying the gun just for the looks, get the Walther though. It's a sweet looking pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong View Post
    Just a bad choice for a first gun. Unless you plan on concealed carry and want a cool looking piece. Either that or you're a vintage James Bond fan.

.380 is a good back up gun and nice and slim for concealed carry but that's about it. The ammo is usually more expensive than 9mm which is more powerful and it seems like it's one of the first to go out of stock during shortages like right now. The big ammo companies like to concentrate on pumping out .22, 9mm, .40, .45 and 5.56 during high demand times.

The Walther can also be finicky gun as well. Better to stick with a workhorse 9mm like an ultra reliable Glock 19 or a S&W M&P 9mm for a first gun unless you have the bucks for a Sig.

If you're buying the gun just for the looks, get the Walther though. It's a sweet looking pistol.
    I agree that this is the wrong choice for a first gun. Even if youre planning to concealed carry, this is a pretty mediocre ccw option imo... a glock 43x/48 or sig p365 would be more reliable, easier to handle, more accurate, higher capacity, and it will almost certainly be cheaper too (my local gun store was selling brand new glock 48s for $450 the last time I was in there).

The main thing the PPK has going for it is the cool factor... but if coolness is what you care about then I would recommend you go all out and buy the desert eagle which is the ultimate cool handgun with questionable reliability/useability.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
    I agree that this is the wrong choice for a first gun. Even if youre planning to concealed carry, this is a pretty mediocre ccw option imo... a glock 43x/48 or sig p365 would be more reliable, easier to handle, more accurate, higher capacity, and it will almost certainly be cheaper too (my local gun store was selling brand new glock 48s for $450 the last time I was in there).

The main thing the PPK has going for it is the cool factor... but if coolness is what you care about then I would recommend you go all out and buy the desert eagle which is the ultimate cool handgun with questionable reliability/useability.
    Spot on. To date I've never bought a gun for cool factor. But I'm thinking about this Sig P220 Elite in 10mm. It just looks so awesome in stainless with rosewood grips.

Spot on. To date I've never bought a gun for cool factor. But I'm thinking about this Sig P220 Elite in 10mm. It just looks so awesome in stainless with rosewood grips.

10mm is a great cartridge that is way underrated imo, and overall that gun is 9/10 on the beauty scale... my only complaints would be that the slide catch, mag release, and trigger color should be the same stainless/silver color as the rest of the metallic parts.

I have never bought a gun for the cool factor, but if I didnt have to dump all my money into my mortgage, bills and household expenses I would absolutely buy some guns strictly because I love them or they're cool.

My top 5 would probably be

1. HK mp5 (the ultimate home defense weapon imo, and also one of the coolest guns of all time)
    2. A lever action rifle chambered for a laughably large cartridge
    3. Barrett .50 cal (maybe the coolest gun ever made?)
    4. gold plated desert eagle or 1911
    5. Some kind of semi-auto rifle chambered in .308 (most likely a self-built AR-10 or a SCAR)

10mm is a great cartridge that is way underrated imo, and overall that gun is 9/10 on the beauty scale... my only complaints would be that the slide catch, mag release, and trigger color should be the same stainless/silver color as the rest of the metallic parts.

I have never bought a gun for the cool factor, but if I didnt have to dump all my money into my mortgage, bills and household expenses I would absolutely buy some guns strictly because I love them or they're cool.

My top 5 would probably be

1. HK mp5 (the ultimate home defense weapon imo, and also one of the coolest guns of all time)
    2. A lever action rifle chambered for a laughably large cartridge
    3. Barrett .50 cal (maybe the coolest gun ever made?)
    4. gold plated desert eagle or 1911
    5. Some kind of semi-auto rifle chambered in .308 (most likely a self-built AR-10 or a SCAR)

Those are all fantastic choices I've come so close to biting the bullet and walking away with a Winchester 94 in .44 mag or 30-30, I surprise myself I don't own one already.

Seems wrong to put a recoil pad on a lever action but I shot a friend's Marlin 45-70 and that sucker definitely could have used one. I can't imagine anything chambered bigger in a lever action. Seems like it would kill the fun factor.

Those are all fantastic choices I've come so close to biting the bullet and walking away with a Winchester 94 in .44 mag or 30-30, I surprise myself I don't own one already.

Seems wrong to put a recoil pad on a lever action but I shot a friend's Marlin 45-70 and that sucker definitely could have used one. I can't imagine anything chambered bigger in a lever action. Seems like it would kill the fun factor.
    I kinda miss guns with recoil TBH... I have been putting a ton of rounds through my ar-15 and my best friends ar-10 lately, and these rifles are so easy to fire that its kind of discombobulating or something.

I'd argue the PPK/S is more accurate. The barrel is attached/welded to the frame, it doesn't come apart unlike modern handguns. Along with the fact the heavy steel frame makes it so there's not much kick, you can probably fire all 8 shots in a tighter grouping than you would with the glock. But I can't say for sure, just going off what I heard some people say. Its the all steel frame, looks, supposed accuracy, and good enough function overall that made it worth it to me. I can't stand plastic looking guns.