Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Default Re: Celtics are Historically Dominant!

Don't they have a +11 net rating with Tatum off the court? Literally historically dominant when he sits on the bench.

Dominant team with no dominant tier 1 star. Usually, that doesn't work out in the NBA, although maybe we haven't seen one quite as good as this Celtics squad. So it remains to be seen how they handle a top 5 all-time tier 1 superstar in Jokic at his peak. I'll always lean towards the superstar in a 7 game series

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeAcc. View Post
    Don't they have a +11 net rating with Tatum off the court? Literally historically dominant when he sits on the bench.

Dominant team with no dominant tier 1 star. Usually, that doesn't work out in the NBA, although maybe we haven't seen one quite as good as this Celtics squad. So it remains to be seen how they handle a top 5 all-time tier 1 superstar in Jokic at his peak. I'll always lean towards the superstar in a 7 game series
    Too critical of a 22-24yr old who has averaged 26.7 PPG, 8.2 REB, 5.6 AST (3.4 TO), 1.0 BLK, 1.1 STL on 57.3% TS over the last 3 playoff seasons.

He's a legit tier 1 player and 1st option. Everyone doesn't need to be compared to top 10 all-time standards.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted View Post
    Too critical of a 22-24yr old who has averaged 26.7 PPG, 8.2 REB, 5.6 AST (3.4 TO), 1.0 BLK, 1.1 STL on 57.3% TS over the last 3 playoff seasons.

He's a legit tier 1 player and 1st option. Everyone doesn't need to be compared to top 10 all-time standards.
    Doesnt matter what the numbers are, if you watched Tatum in the post season the eye test will tell you he’s just not at that elite individual level. He can score points, he has some big games and he plays on a good team. Theyve had some success. That much is true. But it hasnt been because Tatum is “that guy.” He’s a good player on a good team but his intangibles arent special.

And again, saying he’s not Tier 1 does NOT mean Im dismissing him as a player. It means Im saying if you replaced him with Lebron, Kawhi, Giannis, Luka, Durant, SGA, the Celtics would be HEAVILY favored for a title. So thats Tier 1. As it is a lot of people are somewhat skeptical about what theyll do this postseason even with all this historic regular season stuff. Thats because Tatum hasnt been that guy so far.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Doesnt matter what the numbers are, if you watched Tatum in the post season the eye test will tell you he’s just not at that elite individual level. He can score points, he has some big games and he plays on a good team. Theyve had some success. That much is true. But it hasnt been because Tatum is “that guy.” He’s a good player on a good team but his intangibles arent special.

And again, saying he’s not Tier 1 does NOT mean Im dismissing him as a player. It means Im saying if you replaced him with Lebron, Kawhi, Giannis, Luka, Durant, SGA, the Celtics would be HEAVILY favored for a title. So thats Tier 1. As it is a lot of people are somewhat skeptical about what theyll do this postseason even with all this historic regular season stuff. Thats because Tatum hasnt been that guy so far.
    That’s pretty much what people were saying about Joker this time last year. If the Celtics win, and Tatum leads the team, all of a sudden he will have become that guy. And the heavily favored thing doesn’t count for all that much. Not too long ago, people were saying the Bucks with Dame would be unstoppable, same for the Suns with Beal, and the Clippers would suck with Harden. Also, I remember lots of people saying that the Lakers were the clear winners in this last off season.

NBA rookie of the year BarberSchool's Avatar

I still just don’t believe in the Celtics winning the chip this year.

Tatum is a boring robot with a uni-rhythm disorder.
    But a damn good one.
    Brown is much better this year, and Zingis looks good again.
    Their defense is much improved.
    But can a young coaching staff overcome opp schemes and make the right adjustments series after series in a deep finals run ?
    I realize the East is not tough right now, with Embiid fresh back from injury, and other high seeds all having glaring issues and exploitable physical and psychological weaknesses.

But I still just can’t see Celtics taking the chip this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy Pratt View Post
    That’s pretty much what people were saying about Joker this time last year. If the Celtics win, and Tatum leads the team, all of a sudden he will have become that guy. And the heavily favored thing doesn’t count for all that much. Not too long ago, people were saying the Bucks with Dame would be unstoppable, same for the Suns with Beal, and the Clippers would suck with Harden. Also, I remember lots of people saying that the Lakers were the clear winners in this last off season.

Not people who had a clue

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post

Saying Tatum is not tier 1 is like saying he's a Bradley Beal or Pascal Siakam. Basically a player who produces stats due to opportunity rather than skill. He's miles ahead of those guys. Again, we don't need to compare everyone against all the top 10 players. Comparing to the last Celtics team to win it, Tatum is miles ahead of Pierce. We never had these conversations about him.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

And the choke brothers Tatum & Jalen will still find a way to lose against the Heat or Magic in the ECF

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    How many times did they win 60 games? Take the top seed?
    They've been a 1/2 seed 5 out of the last 8 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    Losing 4-2 in the finals is not getting destroyed.
    They got rolled the last 3 games of that series with two of those losses coming at home and didn't break a 100 points in 3 straight games.

Saying Tatum is not tier 1 is like saying he's a Bradley Beal or Pascal Siakam. Basically a player who produces stats due to opportunity rather than skill. He's miles ahead of those guys. Again, we don't need to compare everyone against all the top 10 players. Comparing to the last Celtics team to win it, Tatum is miles ahead of Pierce. We never had these conversations about him.
    Beal and Siakam is more like tier 3 or 4.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    They've been a 1/2 seed 5 out of the last 8 seasons.
    So to repeat the questions:

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Jokic, Giannis, Embiid, Luka and maybe SGA are tier 1 but I'm not sure about SGA. I'm just not as convinced as most about him. Tatum's impact is for me is closer to a tier that has Steph, Sabonis, Durant, Booker and Davis this year. Kawhi and LeBron I just don't know. Some nights they belong here, I guess they can possibly play at a tier 2 level for a playoff run. Siakam, Lillard and Beal are clearly below them.

Quote Originally Posted by Manny98 View Post
    And the choke brothers Tatum & Jalen will still find a way to lose against the Heat or Magic in the ECF
    Magic?

lolol

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    So to repeat the questions:

They had their incredible RS run in 2022 after starting out .500 and had ~80% odds to win it all then as well and what happened? They've been a 1 or a 2 seed 5 times like I already said. Winning a few extra games doesn't magically change what their two best players are. The team around them is a little better and their Conference is a joke, and yes I know that they also have a great record against the WC as well, but they need to show me something different in the POs before I change my stance on it.

If they run through this weak ass EC like a dominant team should & they win the title then I'll give you all the props in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    They had their incredible RS run in 2022 after starting out .500 and had ~80% odds to win it all then as well and what happened? They've been a 1 or a 2 seed 5 times like I already said. Winning a few extra games doesn't magically change what their two best players are. The team around them is a little better and their Conference is a joke, and yes I know that they also have a great record against the WC as well, but they need to show me something different in the POs before I change my stance on it.

If they run through this weak ass EC like a dominant team should & they win the title then I'll give you all the props in the world.

Still kind of dodging the question mate.

A few games is funny.

The 2022 Celtics won 51 games.

Why pretend like the 2022 team was anywhere near as good as this one?