Warriors vs Rockets Game 7 Preview Notes
May 28, 2018
Warriors vs Rockets Western Conference Finals Game 7 is tonight in Houston. The Warriors will be without Andre Iguodala. The Rockets may be without Chris Paul -- this won't be known for sure until shortly before gametime. Here are all the Game 7 team preview notes you could possibly want:
- Tonight’s game is Game 7 of the 2018 NBA Playoffs Western Conference Finals, Golden
State (2nd seed in the Western Conference) is tied with Houston (1st seed), 3-3, in the
- This is the first time since 1979 both conference finals series will be decided in seven
games - Washington defeated San Antonio to represent the East in the NBA Finals while
Seattle outlasted Phoenix to capture the West and advance.
- Tonight’s game marks the 10th time in Warriors franchise history Golden State is playing
in a Game 7 in the playoffs... The Warriors have a 4-5 record in those games, including a
1-1 mark since 2015.
- This is the 4th time the Warriors are playing in a Game 7 in the Western Conference Finals
since the NBA began using its current divisional format in 1970-71, however, this is the 1st
time a conference finals Game 7 for the Warriors is on the road.
- Since 2015, the Warriors have a 4-1 record (.800) when facing elimination in the NBA
Playoffs... The Warriors faced elimination in two straight series in 2016 - Golden State
trailed Oklahoma City, 3-1, in the Western Conference Finals and won the series in 7
games and was tied, 3-3, with Cleveland in the NBA Finals.
- In 3 of the 5 playoff losses, the Warriors had 19 or fewer assists and recorded 16 or more
turnovers... During the 2017-18 regular season, the Warriors never had a game in which
both of these things happened.
- This is the first time in 15-consecutive playoff series the Warriors began a series on the
road, the last time coming in the 2014 Western Conference First Round series against the
Los Angeles Clippers.
- This is a franchise-record 4th-straight trip to the conference finals for the Warriors, and the
7th since the NBA began using the conference format in 1970-71... Golden State is the
2nd team in NBA history to earn 4-consecutive trips to the Western Conference Finals,
joining the Los Angeles Lakers (1982-1989), according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
- In Game 7 of the NBA Playoffs the Warriors have a 4-5 record (.444) including 1-1 (.500)
- In the NBA Playoffs, the Warriors have an all-time 59-102 (.366) record on the road,
including a 21-14 (.600) mark since 2015.
- The 95-92 loss to Houston in Game 4 of the Western Conference Finals on May 22 ended
the Warriors’ NBA- and franchise-record 16-game winning streak at home in the playoffs.
- The Warriors have won a road game in each of their last 18 playoff series, a franchise
record (the NBA record is currently held by Miami, 19 straight).
- Kevin Durant has scored 20 or more points in 23 straight postseason games (15 in 2018
NBA Playoffs, last seven postseason games in 2017)...His streak started in last year’s
NBA Playoffs - Game 3 of the Western Conference Finals vs. San Antonio... His career
best of consecutive 20-point playoff games is 40 (5/15/11 - 4/24/14)... It is the secondlongest
postseason streak in Warriors franchise history, trailing only a 30-game streak by
Wilt Chamberlain (1960-64), according to the Elias Sports Bureau... The last NBA player
with a streak that long was LeBron James (25) from 2015 to 2016.
- Durant’s playoff career-high free throw streak ended at 41, on May 26, 2018, vs. Houston
- Stephen Curry has made a 3-pointer in 85 consecutive playoff appearances, the NBA all-time playoff record for consecutive games with at least
one 3-point field goal made... He has the all-time longest playoff streak of making a 3-pointer in consecutive home games with 44 and is second (41)
behind Reggie Miller (42) for the all-time playoff 3-point road streak.
- Draymond Green has recorded at least 100 points, 100 rebounds and 100 assists in this year’s playoffs, marking the fourth time he has done this...
He became the 9th player in NBA history to have at least 4 100/100/100 postseasons, according to Basketball Reference.
- Green became the first Warriors player to average a triple-double in a playoff series after averaging 14.8 points, 11.8 rebounds and 10.0 assists per
game against the Pelicans in the 2018 Western Conference Semifinals, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
- With the 110-97 win in Game 3 on April 19 at San Antonio, Warriors Head Coach Steve Kerr (50-15, .766) earned his 50th playoff coaching victory,
reaching the milestone in the fewest games in NBA history (Johnny Kundla and Phil Jackson both won their 50th playoff game in 67 contests).
- 2017-18 POSTSEASON HONORS: Kevin Durant - All-NBA First Team; Stephen Curry - All-NBA Third Team; Draymond Green - All-Defensive 2nd
- In Game 6 the Rockets scored 25 second-half points, including nine in the fourth quarter - setting new Warriors opponent playoff lows for fewest
points scored in a half and in a quarter in the Shot Clock era... The previous opponent scoring low for a half was 32 (second half) by Chicago
(5/14/75) and for a quarter was 12, several times.
- in the With the 95-92 win in Game 4 at Oakland, the Rockets ended the Warriors’ NBA-record 16-consecutive wins at home in the playoffs and a
seven-game losing streak to the Warriors in Oakland.
- The Warriors’ 41-point Game 3 win (126-85) was the largest margin of victory in a playoff game in franchise history, per the Elias Sports Bureau... It
was also the largest margin of defeat for the Rockets in their postseason history and the largest loss in NBA postseason history by a team that won
65 or more games during the regular season, according to ESPN Stats & Info.
- The Warriors and Rockets have met twice in the postseason prior to this year’s playoffs - 2015 Western Conference Finals (Warriors won, 4-1) and
the 2016 Western Conference First Round (Warriors won, 4-1).
- The Rockets won the 2017-18 regular season series against the Warriors, 2-1.
- During the 2017-18 regular season, the Rockets (8.5) and Warriors (8.0) finished first and second, respectively, in net rating according to NBA.com...
The Warriors ranked 1st in offensive rating (112.3) and the Rockets were second (112.2).
- Draymond Green recorded his 21st career triple-double (17 points, 14 rebounds, 10 assists) to become the Warriors’ franchise leader in the 124-114
win over Houston on January 4... The Warriors’ win extended their road win streak to nine games, third-longest in franchise history... The Rockets
recorded a Warriors opponent franchise-record 50 3-point field goal attempts.
- The Rockets ended the Warriors’ 14-game road winning streak and a seven-game home losing streak to them on January 20
SE7EN: Tonight marks the first Game 7 for the Rockets since defeating the L.A. Clippers in the 2015 Western Conference Semifinals. That marked
Houston’s first win in a Game 7 since defeating Seattle in the 1997 Western Conference Semifinals. It is the 11th Game 7 in franchise history. The
Rockets are 6-4 in Game 7’s, including 4-1 at home. This is the first Game 7 the Rockets have played in the Conference Finals.
NO PAUL, NO PROB?: Chris Paul suffered a strained right hamstring late in the fourth quarter of Game 5 and missed Game 6. The Rockets were 50-8
in games that Paul played during the regular season and 15-9 in games that he missed (including a loss in the season finale at Sacramento without
Trevor Ariza, Clint Capela, Eric Gordon, and James Harden). Here are some statistical notes from the 58 games Paul played in during the regular
season compared to the 24 games that he missed (Please note that Paul missed 14 of the first 15 games of the season but just 10 over the final 67
games of the season, including six of the final 11): •
- Houston averaged 114.3 points on 46.7% shooting (37.3% 3FGs) with Paul and 107.7 ppg on 44.1% shooting (33.7% 3FGs) without him.
- Houston had an assist-to-turnover ratio of 1.69 with Paul (22.1 apg, 13.1 tpg) and a 1.29 ratio without him (20.2 apg; 15.6 tpg).
- James Harden averaged 29.9 ppg on 45.7% shooting (38.1% 3FGs) with Paul and 31.6 ppg on 43.4% shooting (34.0% 3FGs) without him.
- Eric Gordon averaged 16.8 points (8.3 3FGA per) in 30.4 minutes per game with Paul and 20.9 ppg (10.0 3FGA per) in 33.1 mpg without him.
- Trevor Ariza shot 42.7% from the floor and 38.5% from 3-point range with Paul and 37.6% from the floor and 33.1% from downtown without him.
- P.J. Tucker shot 38.9% from 3-point range with Paul and 33.3% from behind-the-arc without him.
- Gerald Green averaged 11.7 points in 21.7 minutes per game with Paul and 13.8 ppg in 26.7 mpg without him.
- Ryan Anderson averaged 8.9 points in 24.2 minutes per game with Paul and 10.3 ppg in 30.1 mpg without him.
- Joe Johnson averaged 5.3 ppg, 2.4 rpg and 1.4 apg in 20.7 minutes per game with Paul and 8.2 ppg, 4.2 rpg, and 2.5 apg in 25.6 mpg without him.
- The Rockets have not lost consecutive games this postseason and are outscoring opponents by an average of 16.3 points in the first game following
a loss… dating back to the 2017 postseason, Houston is 17-10 in the playoffs after losing eight of its previous 10 playoff games (all against Golden
State in the 2015 Western Conference Finals and the First Round of the 2016 playoffs).
- Houston is 7-2 at home this postseason and 20-7 over it past 27 playoff games at Toyota Center, with three of the losses coming to Golden State…
Houston was 34-7 at home during the regular season, including 20 straight wins from 1/10-4/5… that tied for the longest single season home winning
streak in franchise history.
- The Rockets are 6-5 over their past 11 road playoff games, including three straight between the first two rounds of this postseason (tied for secondlongest
streak in franchise playoff history) after losing seven road playoff games in a row prior… the Rockets were 31-10 on the road during the
regular season (most road wins in a single season in franchise history; tied for sixth-most in NBA history).
- Houston was without Chris Paul in Game 6 after having him play alongside Clint Capela and James Harden in each of the first 15 games this
postseason (11-4 mark)… during the regular season, the Rockets were 42-3 when that trio played together and outscored opponents by an average
of 11.5 ppg.
- The Rockets lost by 29 points in Game 6… Houston won Games 4 & 5 after losing Game 3 by 41 points, which was the largest defeat in franchise
playoff history… the Rocket did not lose by more than 18 points during the regular season… Houston has won three games by 20+ points this
postseason after having three in the 2017 playoffs… the Rockets did not record more than two 20-point wins in a single postseason prior.
The Rockets won Game 5 by four points after winning Game 4 by three points… Houston won seven of its final eight regular season games that were
decided by five or fewer points and were 12-4 in such games overall in 2017-18… the Rockets have won eight games by double-digits this
postseason… that is tied for the most double-digit wins in a single postseason in franchise history (8 in 1993-94 and 1994-95; HOU won title in both).
- The Rockets have scored below 100 points in each of the past four games (91.0 ppg) after not doing so the first 12 games of the postseason (110.7
ppg)… Houston only scored below 100 points eight times during the regular season (3-5 mark) and not in consecutive games… the last time the
Rockets scored below 100 points in four straight playoff games in a single postseason was the final six games in the 2009 playoffs.
- Houston has scored below 90 points twice this series (Game 3 and Game 6)… the Rockets only scored below 90 points three times during the regular
season (0-3 mark)… Houston has lost nine straight playoff games when scoring below 90 points dating back to 2009.
- Houston won Games 4 & 5 despite scoring below 100 points… the last time the Rockets won consecutive playoff games when scoring below 100
points was in 2009… Houston had lost 17 of its previous 19 playoff games when scoring below the century mark dating back to 2009.
- Houston is 6-0 when scoring 110+ points this postseason and 5-5 when failing to do so… prior to the start of the 2018 playoffs, the Rockets lost 19 of
their previous 24 postseason games when scoring below 110 points… during the regular season, Houston was 43-5 when scoring 110+ points and
22-12 when failing to do so (12-22 in 2016-17)… the Rockets are averaging 105.8 ppg this postseason (112.4 ppg during the regular season).
- The Rockets scored 70 first half points in Game 3 at Utah… the last time Houston scored 70+ points in the first half of a playoff game was vs. Portland
on 4/28/87… the Rockets scored 50 points in the third quarter of Game 4 of their First Round series vs. Minnesota on 4/23… that marked the secondmost
points in a single quarter in NBA playoff history (51 by the L.A. Lakers in the fourth quarter vs. Detroit on 3/31/62).
- Houston is 10-0 when holding opponents below 110 points this postseason and 0-5 when failing to do so… during the regular season, the Rockets
were 50-8 when holding the opposition below 110 points, including 32-3 below 100 points… opponents have scored below 100 points five times this
postseason… the Rockets have won nine straight playoff games when holding opponents below the century mark.
- Golden State scored 115 points in Game 6 after scoring below 100 points in Games 4 & 5 (93.0 ppg; 116.7 ppg first three games of the series)… prior
Games 4 & 5, the Warriors never scored below 100 points in a playoff game that both Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant played in… since adding
Durant in 2016-17, Golden State is 4-18 when scoring below the century mark (regular season and playoffs).
- Houston held Golden State below 50 first half points in Games 4 & 5… the Rockets are 9-0 when holding their opponent below 50 first half points this
postseason after going 31-2 when doing so during the regular season… Houston held its opponent below 50 first half points a total of nine times the
previous four playoffs combined.
- Houston has been outshot in five of the six games this series and 47.3% to 42.4% overall… the Rockets are 5-5 when being outshot this postseason
after losing 31 of their previous 36 playoff games when failing to outshoot the opposition dating back to 2008… including the regular season, Houston
is 44-2 when outshooting its opponent.
- The Rockets have shot below 40.0% in three of the past four games (39.0% FGs) after shooting 48.6% the first two games of the series… Houston
won Games 4 & 5 despite shooting below 40.0% in both… the last time a team won consecutive playoff games when shooting below 40.0% was
Philadelphia in 2012… the last time the Rockets won consecutive playoff games when shooting below 40.0% was in 2007.
- Houston is 5-3 when shooting below 45.0% this postseason, including 3-1 below 40.0%... the Rockets had lost 13 of their previous 18 playoff games
when shooting below 45.0% and 15 of their previous 18 playoff games when shooting below 40.0%... Houston is 6-2 when shooting 45.0% or better
this postseason after going 43-5 when doing so during the regular season.
- Golden State shot 49.4% in Game 6 after shooting 41.6% in Games 4 & 5 (50.2% first three games of the series)… Houston is 6-0 when holding its
opponent below 45.0% shooting this postseason (28-2 in regular season) and 5-5 when failing to do so (37-15 in regular season)… four of the
Rockets five losses this postseason have come when allowing opponents to shoot 50.0% or better.
- Houston has hit 10+ 3-pointers in an NBA playoff record 22 straight games dating back to last season… the Rockets lost Game 6 despite hitting 15 3-
pointers… including the regular season, Houston is 48-6 when having 15+ 3FGM and 28-16 when failing to do so… the Rockets are averaging 13.8
3FGM this postseason after averaging an NBA record 15.3 during the regular season.
- The Rockets are 10-0 when having more 3FGM than their opponent this postseason and 1-5 when failing to do so… the Rockets only had as many or
fewer 3FGM as their opponent 11 times during the regular season (7-4 mark)... Houston is averaging 3.5 more 3FGM than its opponent this
postseason, down from an NBA-best 5.2 per game during the regular season.
- Houston shot 38.5% from 3-point range in Game 6 after shooting 31.3% in Games 3-5 (36.7% in Games 1 & 2; 34.3% overall)… the Rockets are 6-2
when shooting 33.3% or worse from behind-the-arc this postseason after going 16-12 when doing so during the regular season… including the
regular season, Houston is 22-2 when shooting 40.0% or better from 3-point range.
- The Rockets have only attempted 40+ 3FGA twice over the past 11 playoff games after averaging an NBA record 42.3 during the regular season…
46.5% of Houston’s shot attempts have been 3-pointers this postseason, down from an NBA record 50.2% during the regular season…the Rockets
had an NBA playoff record 52 3FGA in Game 2 of the First Round series vs. Minnesota.
- Golden State had a series-high 16 3FGM in Game 6 and is averaging 14.0 3FGM in its three wins this series compared to an average of 9.3 in its
three losses… the Rockets are 8-0 when holding their opponent below 10 3FGM this season and 3-5 when failing to do so, including 0-3 when the
opposition has 15+ 3FGM… during the regular season, Houston was 30-5 when opponents had fewer than 10 3FGM and 7-4 when allowing 15+.
- Golden State shot 42.1% from 3-point ranges in Game 6… Houston is 1-4 when its opponent shoots 40.0% or better from behind-the-arc this
postseason after going 16-11 during the regular season… including the regular season, the Rockets are Houston is 41-4 when holding the opposition
to 33.3% shooting or worse from downtown… the Rockets were seventh in 3-point defense in 2017-18 (opponents 35.1%; 37.9% in playoffs).
- Houston had 17 FTA in Game 6 after averaging 29.5 in Games 4 & 5… the Rockets are averaging 1.1 more FTA than their opponent this postseason
after ranking second in the NBA in FTA differential during the regular season (+5.5 per… Houston finished the regular season with just one fewer
FTM than opponents had FTA.
- The Rockets shot 52.9% from the line in Game 6 after shooting 84.7% in Games 4 & 5 (75.4% in Games 1-3)… Houston is shooting 76.6% from the
line overall this series after shooting 79.5% the first two rounds combined (78.4% overall this postseason)… the Rockets ranked ninth in the NBA in
FT% during the regular season (78.1%; highest since shooting 78.2% in 2011-12).
- Houston has been outrebounded in each of the past four games (-6.5 rpg) after outrebounding Golden State in each of the first two games of the
series (+8.0 rpg)… the Rockets are being outrebounded by 0.8 rpg this postseason after outrebounding the opposition by an average of 1.5 rpg
during the regular season… including the regular season, Houston is 46-7 when outrebounding its opponent.
- The Rockets have recorded fewer than 20 assists in each of the past four games and nine times overall this postseason (5-4 mark)… Houston had
fewer than 20 assists 30 times during the regular season after doing so eight times in 2016-17… the Rockets are averaging 18.9 apg this
postseason… Houston was 26th in the NBA with 21.5 apg in 2017-18 after ranking third with 25.2 apg in 2016-17.
- Since having 23 assists with 14 turnovers in Game 2, Houston has recorded 56 assists with 66 turnovers over the past three games… the Rockets
have an assist-to-turnover ratio of 1.01 this series after having a 2.12 ratio the first two rounds combined… Houston had an assist-to-turnover ratio of
1.56 during the regular season.