NBA institutes concussion policy
The National Basketball Association today announced the institution of a concussion management program designed to safeguard the neurological health of NBA players through a comprehensive framework of education, clinical management and data collection and analysis. The program went into effect at the start of training camp.
Among the highlights of the new program:
· The hiring of Dr. Jeffrey Kutcher as the Director of the NBA Concussion Program. Dr. Kutcher, Associate Professor of Neurology at University of Michigan, is a leading authority in the field of sports neurology and the Chair of the Section of Sports Neurology for the
American Academy of Neurology.
· Providing annual training and education to players, coaches, and team
medical personnel, tailored to their specific role and consistent
with the evolving science of concussion management.
· Annual baseline testing of players, including both a neurological
exam and a computerized cognitive assessment tool.
· A customized post-injury concussion assessment tool and multi-stage
return to play protocol. In order to maximize the consistency of care
throughout the league, all return to play decisions will be discussed
with Dr. Kutcher before the player returns to competition.
· The documentation and aggregation of all data related to a
concussion, and its diagnosis, management and outcome.